Friday, October 13, 2006

I must be getting old!

I have to be getting old or mature or something. Yesterday, the nominees for the first BET Hip Hop Awards were announced in Atlanta and I am/was so not excited.
Am I the only person who sees a problem here?
Why is it necessary for BET to create another awards show? Are the BET Awards and that God-awful comedy awards show not enough? I thought Reginald Hudlin and Stephen Hill were supposed to be making improvements.
I wonder what that pitch meeting was like. "I think we should create an awards show just for hip hop. I know we already have the Source Awards and the Vibe Awards, but we should do something because we're BET!"
To have been a fly on the wall. I would pay them $1 million in $25 installments just to have said, "WRONG ANSWER!!!"
I can't even imagine Debra Lee sitting through two hours of iced out grillz and rented platinum and enjoying it.
But we all know she will be sitting there in her Versace gown with that pasted smile on her face and trying to use slang when she addresses the audience.
And what will be the categories? Worst acting by a rapper? Cutest video ho? How about best grill?
Spare me, please.
I wish somebody would have the courage and the gall to snatch up Bob Johnson and take him to a TV and turn on BET. Not only make him watch it, but smash his face in it (think the old school way of house breaking a dog), and say, look what you did!!! Bad Bob, Bad Bob!!!
The real problem I have with it is that they are billing it the "Hip Hop Awards." Ask yourself, does hip hop exist anymore? I personally think that there are very few artist who can still consider themselves hip hop artists.
Think about it.
When hip hop was originated, it had a message, it was the voice of suffering people in the inner cities. Think Grand Master Flash and the Furious Five here. Then it evolved into being fun. It was about having a good time. This is where you insert Doug E. Fresh and Slick Rick.
Now, critics and consumers alike are using the term loosely and interchangeably with manufactured rap artists. Think that G-Unit and all those 'Young' people, Joc and Dro and all of 'em.
This stuff ain't fun and it ain't got a message. What it is, is manufactured, dry shells of what used to be good music. When I hear hip hop being used to describe today's music, I get so irritated because this mess these kids are listening to today is not hip hop.
I haven't named it yet, but I will. You know I will.

No comments: