Sunday, May 25, 2008

Winding it down ...

... well, tomorrow is officially my last day of vacation and I am saddened.
I've enjoyed my time off and it went far too quickly, but hey, Christmas is right around the corner, right?
Let's hope. Anyway, these last nine days have been filled with a lot of rest, family time and a lil' bit of fun too. I don't have many pictures of myself, but I can share with ya'll a few highlights.

First off, I officially kicked off my vacation by volunteering for the American Cancer Society for the Alamance County Relay for Life event in Burlington, N.C., where I live. If you all have not been involved with a Relay event, I encourage you to do so. This was my first year and I am officially hooked.
Secondly, I attended my cousin Lele's graduation from the University of North Carolina at Greensboro. On May 17, she became the third college graduate on that side of my family. I was the first in 2003.

I'm sooooo proud of her, ya'll. She graduated with a degree in early childhood education and has a passion to teach kids in (Title I schools) low income neighborhoods and has several job offers lined up already. I was so proud.
The 17th was a busy day for me because I had to leave graduation and high-tail it to the hospital in my hometown where my lil' cousin had given birth to her daughter, Kianna Latreece early that morning.
Lil' Miss Thang was born at 2:05 a.m., weighing in at 6 lbs., 10 oz., and 20.5 in. long. She's so sweet and looks just like her mama. Now, I had to hurry up and get there because this little cousin of mine is my dawg. This is the little cousin that I have been taking up time with since she was a little thing and it also helped when she told me at 13 that she wanted to go to N.C. A&T just like me. ;-)

Well, she won't be going to A&T, at least not right now. She will graduate high school on June 13th and attend the University of North Carolina at Pembroke to stay close to home with the baby where she has more of a support system.
After that, I stayed home for a few days just to sort of relax and take it easy for a while. There is nothing like going to sleep in the bed you slept in before you got grown to make you feel like everythang's gonna be alright! I swear ya'll, I woke up one morning and tried to figure out why I ever left in the first place.
Then of course came my born-day on Tuesday. It wasn't a big "to-do" or anything. My family doesn't really make a big deal of birthdays. I actually spent the day with my cuzzo and her new baby.
The next day, I jumped on the highway and brought it on down to ATL, that's where I am now. Anyway, I got here just before rush hour and hung out with my brother for a couple of hours before we both crashed.
Thursday, I pretty much hung around his house watching movies all day and cursing him out for not leaving me a key to lock up so I could go into the city. Little did I know, he left it, I didn't find it until 20 minutes before he walked in the door and why leave the house at 4:30 in the afternoon?
Friday, we headed to Uptown Comedy Corner to see Wanda Smith, co-host of the Frank and Wanda Morning Show on the People's Station V-103, Double D and Tony Roberts. All three of these fools, and I do mean FOOLS, have been on Def Jam, Comic View and just about anything that showcases "urban" comics. I actually did that show against my will, but at the end of the day, I had fun.
Yesterday, I had a ball. My brother fried up some fish, yea I know it's country, and cooked up a few other things, a few folks came over and we made it a house party. We had a good ole' time!
Everybody who knows me, knows that I'm NOT a fan of the club scene and I could care less about going to a club. The atmosphere is just the opposite of laid back. The house party set up on the other hand is, to me, the epitome of laid back so I'm all for that.
Anyway, I was up until 4 this morning listening to alcohol and kush-induced logic. I laughed so hard that I woke up with a sore face and sore sides. It was H.I.larious!!!
And today, today was the finale! My brother, who spends more time on my nerves than off, got for me as my birthday gift, two tickets to the Atlanta Dream/Los Angeles Sparks game.
I'm sure some of you are probably asking "who the freak are the Dream and the Sparks?" Well, they are two teams in the WNBA that are probably going to be my favorite.

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE sports. Football is my favorite, but I could never play because, well, I'm a girl. Basketball is a close second. I lettered in basketball in high school so it is of course near and dear to my heart.
Plus, I have been following the league since it started in 1997 and the Sparks have been MY team since then, well, them and the Charlotte Sting but they folded in 2006. So now I'm searching for a new "hometown" team and since ATL is the closest to the Tar Heel State, they're it.
Anyway, I had a great time and I will definitely be coming back to take in a couple of games. But all in all, I had a pretty decent vacation and I'm so NOT looking forward to going back to work.
Wish me luck, I'm pretty sure my e-mail and voice mail inboxes are overflowing. So don't be surprised if you don't hear from me for a couple of days. Going through 10 days worth of e-mails, voice mails and just randomness could take me a minute.


TravelDiva said...

Well that sounds like a great time! Love the Boondocks T-shirt. LMAO on who leaves the house at 4:30 in the afternoon. Yeah that sounds like nap time to me.

I'm glad you had a great vacation. Sounds like relaxation and quality time with the family. That's good stuff. I blogged about Mo'bay over on CITC. Take care!

James Tubman said...

glad you had a great vacation homie and congrats to your cuzzo

keep in touch

Eb the Celeb said...

Girl I am so mad we never got a chance to link up in ATL.. but like you said... HOMECOMING!!!