Thursday, December 28, 2006

Lemme just say ...

this year's holiday movies were the best!
I am so impressed with The Pursuit of Happyness and Dreamgirls that I am going to pay to see them both again. OK, well - maybe not - but I am going to buy them once they're on DVD.
Will and Jaden Smith did an awesome job with this drama. I am really impressed that he was able to do a movie without being silly. I am now convinced that this man is a true actor.
He was able to take the story of a man who was a part of the working poor and make it appeal to an audience that crosses all racial and economic barriers.
The movie was just good from start to finish.
And Dreamgirls ... oh ... my ... Gawd!!!
If Jennifer Hudson does not receive any awards for her portrayal of Effie White, I will personally launch a petition that keeps every single awards show from being aired on any television station for the rest of my life! That girl is fierce!!!
I don't understand why Beyonce is getting all the acclaim for her role as Dena Jones. She was good, I am not disputing that, but she's had a few crappy movies to prepare for it. I digress.
Anyway, I disagree that Jennifer Hudson stole the movie because it implies that someone else had it first. No one in Hollywood, not even Robi Reed, could have cast this movie better than that. The acting was not terrible and the music was OFF THE CHAIN!!!.
Honestly, I was prepared to be let down because of the star power behind this movie. Jamie Foxx, Eddie Murphy, Anika Noni Rose, Danny Glover, Dawnn Lewis, Jaleel White (Urkel) and a host of other stars, past and present, had roles both small and large in this movie. Every other movie that has a lot of stars in it is usually a let down. Case in point, Kingdom Come, what were they thinking?
If you can get through the first 15 minutes of the movie without picturing Eddie Murphy singing "Party All the Time," you will love it. That is of course if you understand that you are going to see a musical. Keep in mind that a musical means there will be music throughout the film.
Of course I had to go to the ghetto showing of the film where some of my people had to question, out loud, why they keep singing in the movie.
A little background, the movie Dreamgirls is based on a Broadway musical of the same name that starred Jennifer Holiday, Sheryl Lee Ralph and Loretta Devine. Devine also had a small cameo in the movie.
Long story short, go see both movies - at regular price, not matinee - you will absolutely love them both and get your money's worth.

No comments: