Thursday, November 01, 2007

Not cool Brah ...

... not cool at all! How you gonna do me like this Dog? I thought you were cool man! I was telling all my friends to watch you and everything! I was telling them how you were a good, decent, hard working dude! And then, you made an ass of me!
Brah, why would you say something like that to your son about his girlfriend? When would you ever think it is OK to use that word? I mean, have you not already been through enough in your life that you have to aggravate it with hate speech?
GAH!!!
OK, for those of you who don't know Duane "Dog" Chapman, he's a Denver native who was made famous after he captured Andrew Luster, the heir to the Max Factor throne, in Mexico. He has a show on one of my favorite channels on TV, A&E, called "Dog the Bounty Hunter" where he and his team, made up of his brother, sons and super busty wife, capture some of Hawaii's most dangerous bail-jumping offenders.
I mean, I was a fan. The operative word here is "was."
Anyway, he was recorded while on a racist tirade about his son's black girlfriend. I have taken the liberty of copying a transcript Honolulu's Star Bulletin Web site. I must warn you, this is offensive.
Chapman: "Don't care if she's a Mexican, a whore, whatever. It's not 'cause she's black. It's because we use the word "n_____" sometimes here. I'm not going to take a chance ever in life by losing everything I've worked for for 30 years for some f____ n_____ heard us say "n_____" and turned us in to the Enquirer magazine -- our career is over. I'm not taking that chance at all, never in life, never. Never. ... If Lyssa was dating a n_____, we would all say f___ you. And you know that. If Lyssa brought a black guy home ... It's not that they're black. It's none of that. It's that we use the word "n____." We don't mean "you f___ scum n_____ without a soul." We don't mean that s___, but America would think we're meaning that. And we're not taking a chance and losing everything we've got over a racial slur. Because our son goes with a girl like that, I can't do that, Tucker, you can't expect Garry, Bonnie, Cecily, all them young kids ... 'cause I'm in love for seven months, I ... f___ that. ... So I'll help you get another job, but you cannot work here unless you break up with her and she's out of your life. I can't handle that s___. I've got 'em in the parking lot trying to record us. I've got that girl saying she's going to wear a recorder. ..."
What else can you say to that except, "Damn Dog." But, he did issue a statement, but only after he was caught.
Chapman: "I should have never used that term. I have the utmost respect and aloha for black people, who have already suffered so much due to racial discrimination and acts of hatred. I did not mean to add yet another slap in the face to an entire race of people who have brought so many gifts to the world. I am ashamed of myself and I pledge to do whatever I can to repair this damage I have caused."
Now, it could be that I've been listening to Maroon 5 too much lately, but, this incident really makes me wonder how often he uses this word. And I want to know why no one around him told him that this wasn't cool to say?
Either way, they say every dog has his day, I guess the sun is setting on his. Damn Dog, I'm so disappointed, Brah, so disappointed!

No comments: