Sunday, September 14, 2008

And they're off ...

... gas prices have again made the trek upward again this weekend.
I gassed up my car on Thursday night for $3.59/gallon and packed my clothes in anticipation of driving down to the Queen City (Charlotte, NC) to see my best friend, my goddaughter and my brand new godson this weekend.
I got up Friday, finished up my stories for the week and jumped on the highway only to find that gas had gone up as much as a dollar in some places overnight. To add injury to insult, some gas stations were limiting drivers to only 10 gallons.
What does that have to do with me since my tank was already full, you may ask? Well, I could get down there, but getting back would be a different story. I could go, but I would run the risk of spending $50 to $60 to fill my tank when I got back and another $40 when I got home for the week. I don't know about ya'll but I don't have it like that.
Long story short, I opted not to head to the QC and went to the movies to see "Tyler Perry's The Family That Preys." And I must say to all of you I was presently surprised. Honestly, I don't know what I expected, but it was a good film. Trust me.

OK, first of all, I have to give Sanaa Lathan her props. Yea, yea, I know she's pretty and everything but up until now, she's always taken on the same type of role. The girl next door, love starved pretty girl who doesn't know how pretty she is type of role. But she really stretched herself for this one.
I must say, I had to sort of deprogram myself to realize that this was only a character that she was playing. With all due respect to Ms. Lathan, she plays a great bitch.
The film also stars two of my favorite actresses Kathy Bates and Alfre Woodard. For the first 15 minutes of the movie, I could not get "Misery" and "Crooklyn" out of my head. After that, it was a trip.
Tyler Perry pulled a Spike Lee and cast himself in the movie, but it worked. The only thing that didn't work was that god-awful wig he wore.
Don't get me wrong, there was the overly clueless character who everybody wanted to choke via Rockmond Dunbar. And my girl, Taraji P. Henson. She is so my favorite "new" actress. I say new because she hasn't been around that long, but I just like her. She's picked a lot of different type of characters and she's convinced me as all of them.
I am not going to spoil it for you but I will tell you that it is certainly an entertaining movie and I am proud of Perry. He did his thing on this one. Long story short, go see it. For real, don't bootleg it either, go to the movies, buy some popcorn and mix in some peanut M&Ms and drink a Sprite.
Go on, you owe it to yourself.

5 comments:

PCD (Pretty Circle Drawer) said...

any room with peanut m&ms is where i'm at!!!

TravelDiva said...

LOL. Yeah, those friggin' gas prices went up 30 cents over one day in my area. B*stards!

I enjoyed the flick as well. Some predictable moments, but I have to say I thoroughly enjoyed Bates and Woodard. Seasoned actresses that bring so much character to each role. I did like that for a change it was a woman who was cold and callous in the movie--sorry it had to be my girl Sanaa. LOL.

And LMAO on Crooklyn and Misery and Tyler's wigafro.

Eb the Celeb said...

you know I trust your opinion so I guess I will go see it now... I wasnt planning on it... I really wanna go see the Women with Jada but I guess I will go support TP too

Anonymous said...

I really have to go and check the movie out! I love Kathy Bates and Alfre Woodard as well, and I can tell that this is a different venture for Perry. I can't wait to see it!

yummy411 said...

great review! i missed it opening weekend, but oh it's on this weekend!