Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Since I've been gone a minute ...

... this is the first in a series of posts that you all will receive from me today.
Because I am a self-proclaimed entertainment news hound, the following is a hodge-podge of celebrity mishaps and situations that I find hilarious, sad or downright disgusting. Since you all know me fairly well, I'm sure you'll be able to tell how I feel about what.
First of all, I would like to wish Robin Roberts a speedy recovery from her surgery. She announced earlier today that she has been diagnosed with breast cancer and will have a surgical procedure Friday.
Here's more information about her story. http://www.cnn.com/2007/SHOWBIZ/TV/07/31/tv.robinroberts.ap/index.html
Roberts is an anchor on ABC's Good Morning America. Before this job, Roberts was a sportscaster for CNN and has served as a commentator for several professional sports. I remember her most recently for her work in commentary for the WNBA.
For those of you who will probably not follow the link, she found a lump in her breast during a self-exam. Then she went to her physician.
I can not stress enough how important it is for us (women and men) to have regular check ups. By the grace of God, she caught it early and was able to do something about it. There are too many of us (black folks) who don't take care of our health. I say us because I too am included in this number.
Let's all pledge to take better care of our health so that we won't need sick care.
Speaking of sickly folks, anyone seen Star Jones Reynolds lately?
She recently "came out" saying that she had gastric bypass surgery. Well duh! What one fool in America believes that she hasn't had gastric bypass surgery?
She lost 160 pounds in a year. That's a whole person. Hell, that's two first graders and a midget (OK, a little person). All in one year people. She either had gastric bypass or a crack pipe.
Either way, she's starting to look just a little too sickly. I understand losing for health's sake, but what about stopping for the same reason?
I just hope she's going to be OK, after all, we have to see what she does next. I am looking forward to seeing her back in TV.

No comments: