Wednesday, July 30, 2008

The fast is over ...

... the fast is over, buh-da bye bye!!!
Cue the DJ, call the cable company and plug up my TVs, my self-induced TV fast is nearly over. Today is the last day that I go without my favorite glowing box of entertainment.
The last day I remember watching TV was Sunday, June 29. I don't remember what I watched nor do I remember why I didn't watch the following Monday. I only remember sitting in the 11 a.m., worship service at New Jerusalem Cathedral in Greensboro beside fellow blogger Sheletha.
I had been contemplating a fast to complete my business plan for my nonprofit organization. That Sunday, the pastor spoke about getting off track and using other vices to keep you from accomplishing your calling. My vices of choice were fear and that dang contraption.
While I think my fast has proven that I can go with out TV, it was the fear that kept me from moving forward with my ideas. And here's the kicker, I wasn't afraid of failure, I was afraid that the thing might be successful. This just might work!
I am happy to report that during this fast, I have been able to face, not only my fear, but so many other things that were laying dormant in my psyche.
You know, you learn a lot about yourself when you're forced to spend time alone with yourself. I can honestly say that I really know me now and I ain't half bad. Of course I am constantly trying to improve myself but I am really happy with who I am at this time in my life.
This fast was good for me but I am in no rush to do it again. I have been going through Law & Order withdrawals and CNN cravings. Quite frankly, I feel like a kid on Christmas Eve. Just think, tonight at midnight, I can watch Larry King Live and then at 1, Anderson Cooper 360.
I can hardly wait!

7 comments:

12kyle said...

a month without tv??? wow! i've gained a newfound respect for you my friend. i dunno if i could've done it.

Tiffany S. Jones said...

Thanks man. It wasn't easy, especially with Black in America and Messy Jesse all over the headlines. But, I made it!

Eb the Celeb said...

TV is nothing... but if I had to go a month fasting from my macbook... I'd prolly hang myself...lol

Dianne said...

I'd love to know how watching TV again after a month felt! Did anything new strike you? Or was it just like getting back on the bicycle?

Oh and hope your business plan is going well.

Tiffany S. Jones said...

LoL, Eb, you should say TV is nothing for you!
I am a person who went from watching seven to eight hours of TV a day to none at all.
To answer your question Dianne, it was kinda weird. The first thing I watched was Larry King Live. I don't even remember what it was about, it was just good to see the Crypt Keeper, I mean, Larry, again.
Today is really the most TV I've watched since the fast was over.
I finally saw CNN's "Black In America" Series. I watched it in its entirety. So I have a post coming about that soon.

Dianne said...

"the crypt keeper"! LOL

Tiffany S. Jones said...

dianne, I was telling my brother last night how I've noticed that I eat more when I watch TV.
IDK what it is, but if I'm just sitting there, I have chips or cookies or something while I'm watching.
Weird, huh?