Wednesday, December 12, 2007

It is official ...

Lil' Mikey Vick will be going away for a long time. Vick was sentenced to 23 months in jail. And to tell the truth, I'm not all that surprised. After all, he is (or used to be) a rich black man who had a moderate amount of influence on a lot of people.
Come on now, ya'll know they had to get him. They let OJ get away the first time, now look what happened. That Bama came back for another taste of criminal law and I hate to say it, but this time, they're going to get him.
You know they can't let that happen to Mike Vick, who knows what he'll do the next time. You know "they" never learn. The next time, he might jaywalk or get caught doing 42 mph in a 35 mph zone.
Then again, speaking as a dog lover, I can understand the need to see him be put into jail. I mean, what if somebody did black men the way he did those dogs. You know, toss 'em into an arena and make them beat on each other until they're a pulp just to be treated half way decently. And then if they don't win consistently, we throw them away.
No, wait, they already do that. It's called boxing and it is recognized as a legitimate sport. The only difference here is the dogs can't spend millions and millions of dollars and marry white women and that makes it 'inhumane.'
Am I condoning illegal dogfighting? No, I don't condone illegal fighting of any sort, but I am still going to maintain my position that had it been Brett Farve or Tom Brady or even Kurt Warner fighting dogs, this case would have never seen the light of day.
Now, I'm not going to debate this any further but there are other repercussions that warrant mention. Since Vick is now a convicted felon, he can't own a weapon, serve on a jury (but who really wants to) and more important than that, he can't vote. But I'll bet my rent check they're going to tax him to high hell!
If he decides to maintain residence in the Commonwealth of Virginia, he will not be able to vote again until the law there has been ratified to allow ex-felon restoration. Virginia is one of only 13 of the countries states/commonwealths that do not allow for restoration.
On the other hand, if the Falcons agree to take him back and he changes his information to become a legal Georgia resident, then he will be eligible for restoration.
I don't remember much about U.S. History class, I mean, that was eight years ago. But I do remember a little catch phrase called "taxation without representation" and I think that is illegal. Now granted the citizens of that Hellhole they call Washington, D.C. (I hate that city) has been without representation for years, they are doing the same thing to Vick.
Vick is not by any stretch of the imagination comparable to a city but it is the same principle. Because he is in a high tax bracket, he already loses a substantial amount of his income. At the same time, he won't be able to vote for his candidate of choice thereby relieving him of any representation.
For the lack of a better term, that sucks!!! As if enough of us weren't already disenfranchised they gotta do it to the folks who mess up a time or two. Granted he messed up BIG, one could even say he F'd up, but was it so bad that they take away his right to vote? Gah!
Speaking of voting, I still don't have my candidate yet, not that I'm in a rush or anything. But I'll tell you what, if they accept write-in votes, put me down for Michelle Obama as president and Oprah for the vice president. Go ahead, chuckle if you want to but I'm serious. I just think that would be a power house team.
Quite frankly, I think Michelle should be running anyway. Sure Barack has more experience and he knows how the big dogs roll in Washington, but Michelle looks like she will get some things done. I think she would get up there and roll up into House and Senate sessions like, "I told you not to send me this or I was going to veto it! But you sent it anyway and now look, I vetoed it. I tell you one thing, it had better not pass in the second vote or else!"
Then Oprah would come behind her and smooth things over. "I know you guys have been working hard and things haven't been going your way, but ***singing in that annoying voice*** I've got a surprise for yooooooouuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu! You get a car! ***pointing*** You get a car! ***pointing*** You get a car!"
Couldn't you just imagine it? ***smiling with my head cocked to the right***

2 comments:

Eb the Celeb said...

I'm still perplexed on my candidate as well. I just dont understand what Obama stands for... I'm heavily leaning towards hilary but am trying to give him a fair just... but just cant relate... and this whole oprah debacle in not helping sway my opinion at all

Tiffany S. Jones said...

I'm not even leaning yet. To be complete honest with you, this whole thing is starting to annoy me.
If I had to choose someone in the primary right this minute, I would be voting for Bill Richardson. I like his style and he seems to have a well-thought out strategy for what should happen.
Though I don't have kids, education is very important to me and he seems to be the only one bringing it up on a regular basis.