Thursday, August 09, 2007

I - am in love!

No need to strike up the band or send any inquiries. I am in love with Newark, NJ mayor Corey Booker.
It's not that he looks like Reggie and Cheryl Miller's long, lost little brother. It's not because he's a black man doing big things and featured on Oprah. And it's not even the fact that he's a man of his word doing his best to clean up one of the most crime-ridden cities in America.
It is because this man gave a bilingual press conference this afternoon concerning progress in the case of three black college students being shot to death in a Newark school yard.
Ya'll I was watching CNN before I left my house earlier and this man was standing in front of a podium with microphones galore, one from Univision, and a question came from the audience from a reporter who was speaking English with a Hispanic accent.
The man proceeded to speak in Spanish to give out information on the two suspects that they have in custody. At that moment, my admiration for him got all inappropriate and now - I'm in love!
Booker understands the importance of getting out information be it in English or in Spanish. By exercising his bilingual skills, the man has shown that his focus is to put out information in such a way that people will understand.
~starry eyed with my head cocked to the side~ Isn't he great?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh wow. I think I'm in LOVE too. He spoke Spanish just by noticing that the guy had a Spanish accent. I LOVE a man who listens.