Sunday, October 14, 2007

It's been a few days ...

I've been busy, but please believe there's not been a shortage of things I must tell you guys about.
First and foremost, go see Tyler Perry's "Why Did I Get Married." This movie is truly his best work and I just don't see how he's going to top himself.
While I know that this movie will certainly not be an Academy Award contender, I will say that it was still an outstanding movie. The story line was great and a very talented ensemble of actors was assembled to pull this movie off.
As you probably can tell, I will more than likely be going to see this movie in the theater again. I don't think I've seen a movie in the theater more than once since, "Set It Off," and how long ago was that?
Someone you guys should be on the lookout for is Tasha Smith. She and Tyler Perry were definitely the comic relief in that movie. For those of you who are unfamiliar with her work, she played the mom in "Daddy's Little Girls" and she also used to be a stand-up comic.
All I'm going to say is, the girl is funny and you need to see this movie.
Speaking of things that are making me laugh as of late, a Vatican official (that means he works with the Pope), Monsignor Tommaso Stenico has been suspended after he was caught on a hidden camera making "advances" to a young man.
It's not funny that he was caught, it's funny that he says he was "pretending to be gay" because he was doing psychoanalytical research. ***chuckling to myself *** That's a new one. I didn't know that people pretended to be gay. I know a lot of people who pretended not to be gay, but that's a whole 'nother story.
It is no secret that Catholics view homosexuality as a sin. It also is no secret that Catholic priests and nuns take vows of celibacy and that in recent years, a lot of priests have been busted for molesting little boys.
I am in no way, shape form or fashion implying that all gay men are pedophiles, nor am I suggesting that all pedophiles are gay. I'm simply saying that sexual repression can lead to some very unhealthy activities.
Now, Tommaso said that "he frequented online gay chat rooms and met with gay men as part of his work." He's claiming that he's been set up and that he was working on "cleaning up the church."
OK, I'll wait while you stop laughing ...
I think he's been listening to Larry Craig or he pulled out some old Shaggy, "It Wasn't Me." Maybe it's just me, but I don't believe the dude was "pretending." I mean, I stopped playing dress-up when I was seven and I think it would be easier to repress sexual desires if you were convinced beyond any shadow of doubt that those desires are sinful.
But hey, maybe it's just me. If this is true, more information is going to come out eventually anyway.
Speaking of the truth coming out, in case you guys haven't been following Mychal Bell's case, he's been locked up again. Not for anything new though, he went back to a juvenile facility on a probation violation for the assault.
And I can honestly say that I'm not mad about that. The boy was on probation for a previous charge and he was involved in something he had no business being in. For that, I do agree that he needs to be punished for the violation. The only thing I will say about that is I hope that the court credits him with time served. He was locked up from December to September and he was sentenced to 18 months for the violation. If he is credited with time served that will cut his sentence in half.
The thing about this whole situation is the truth still hasn't come out in this and I am worried that the movement toward equal justice is losing momentum. What do you guys think? Do you think that now that there's been a march and the media has moved on to the news of late that the movement is loosing momentum?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your dad introduce me to your site. You really have some interesting topics. My response to the Jena (6) is that if he was found guilty in juvenile court and his previous charges are similar in nature then maybe he should be violated for being involved in a fight. On the other hand, if this was the only violation that he had maybe some other alternative could have been met (electronic house arrest, intensive probation, etc.). And yes, I do believe the case has lost momentum, not just by the media, but by African Americans. In the beginning we are ready to run the race, but not ready to complete it once it gets started. For example, The Million Man March- Several men attended marched only to return home and not apply what was learned to OUR communities. We have to start the race and be persistent until the race is won or we will be considered a joke by all races.

- Buster